MBF was founded in 1981 and has from the beginning been struggling to become a recognized political player in the Faroese democratic political system.
The organization has a clear goal, which is to work for the promotion of disabled people's interest.
MBF wants to ensure that all people have the same opportunities in an inclusive society
MBF wants The Faroe Islands to be a good country to live in for people with disability
The umbrella has 24 member organizations and the purpose of MBF is:
- to strengthen cooperation between the member organizations for the disabled in the Faroe Islands
- to support the interests of disabled people
- to prevent disability caused by sickness and accidents
- to support the daily work of the member organizations
- to participate in international cooperation
- to work to get representatives in organizations where important decisions regarding daily challenges for the disabled are taken
- to influence and to be heard in the cases that concern people with disabilities
MBF is controlled by a committee with 5 members. The committee meets once a month or when needed. The Committee is responsible for the operation of the organization.
- Ása Olsen, manager
- Tóra við Keldu, chairwoman
Chairwoman's task is political.
The manager is responsible for the organization's daily management in close cooperation with the Committee.
People turn to MBF with various queries. If possible, MBF takes no individual issues, however, only if it has special public importance. The member organizations often have a better basis to solve individual problems/challanges.
On 13th of May 2009 Føroya Løgting agreed to ratify the CRPD and to change legislation and adopt new laws and measures that improve disability rights and prevent discrimination.
- Following in the political life and comment on the political discussion that may concern people with disabilities
- UN Convention and shadow report
- Continuing to work to ensure that the UN Convention is implemented in the Faroese society
UN Convention on the Rights of Persones with Disabilities: CRPD
Report to the UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities: Shadow Report
Telephone number: +00298 317373